Friday, October 29, 2010

Module IV

3 colleagues
matth@mehs.us  Matt you make some very interesting statements about studying the universe with a holistic approach.  Very insightful and true.  Thanks Matt.
tracy.pulido@k12northstar.org Tracy totally hit the nail on the head with some of these kids going insane if they couldn’t be “connected” to their technology.  So true, and sad in my mind.
mburgess@wrangellschools.org  Marilyn, I like to see that you too like to use the Google earth.  Pretty powerful teaching tool isn’t it?


Explain: I learned that some of the Hawaiian beliefs were that the islands were formed from a fish that came up to the surface and broke into pieces. (Hawaii)  I found the Mauna Kea video pretty cool simply by the helicopter footage of the cinder cones.  Another thing I learned today was that the different types of seismic waves were noted well before my initial assumption.  It is amazing that in 1755 humans began to investigate different types of waves. 1755
The last very cool thing that I learned is using infrared sensors from space to study volcanoes.  Although it is limited, it is still another tool in the belt of a scientist’s assessment of natural earth changing forces.   

(thelmagazine.com)      


                                      
Extend: I will definitely be using the video on infrared radiation of volcanoes as we just started a unit on waves and the electromagnetic spectrum.  Play this song for your kids; it gets so stuck in their heads as well as the teachers.  It is corny but the kids love it.EM spectrum song
I truly appreciate the interactive resources provided in this week’s module.  I will use "Explore Alaska's Volcanoes" and I will be emailing my students the link to the interactive simulation of plate, earthquakes and volcanoes
If you love interactive online simulations for education like I do, please explore this site http://phet.colorado.edu/   The site provides free lessons submitted by other educators.  I know we are given many links to look at.  PLEASE LOOK AT THIS ONE. IT ROCKS!!!


 Evaluate: I find that many of these video clips have much better footage and computer imaging than the one I normally find on www.discoveryeducation.com As I stated above, I find interactive online activities extremely valuable and I am thankful for them being shared with us in this module.  Lastly, I will leave you with a song about volcanoes that my sister shows her elementary kids.  I have started showing my high school kids just because they like how catchy it is.  I hope you may find it useful.  corny volcano song


         (courtesy of NOAA)

No comments:

Post a Comment